1. Follow up each invitation with a personalized introductory messageSo you’ve accepted some invitations to be part of your contacts’ network today. What else can you do to follow up and tell them that they have indeed made the right choice in adding you to their network?To do: Write them a personalized message, include quick points about what you can do and ways for them to reach you, i.e. emails, blog and any forums that you own. This will let them see that you have some form of authority on the Internet and will pave the way for future business opportunities.
2. Take advantage of your Profile and improve visibility for your WebsitesAgain, you want to appear as someone who has adequate authority on the World Wide Web. Tell your contacts what websites you are a part of; what blogs you author and where one can find your online portfolio for future reference.To do: Make full use of your Profile and fill in the three slots available. Choose wisely and select the websites that can showcase the strength of your expertise. For example, if you are a writer you may want to show off your writing prowess by including sites containing your writing samples or articles:
3. Blog regularly about LinkedInYou won’t be recognized as a reputable LinkedIn user if you don’t talk about your experience using the site. Be generous, and share tips that will benefit new users and impress veterans alike.To do: You can either start a blog about your LinkedIn networking experiences or include regular posts about the what’s, how’s and why’s of LinkedIn professional networking in your blog. Don’t forget to grab your own LinkedIn vanity URL and include this link wherever you can to make it easier for users to locate you.
4. Join relevant Groups and share your expertise
You know what they say: Give some and receive more in return! By joining Groups that are relevant to your area of expertise, you are able to help shed light on your capabilities AND at the same time, learn from others who are adept in your industry.
5. Sprinkle keywords relevant to your subject matter expertise
Remember, a little SEO won’t hurt so do read up about how to optimize the spaces that you have been given.