What are web analytics?
Web analytics is the study of the behavior of website visitors. In a commercial context, web analytics especially refers to the use of data collected from a web site to determine which aspects of the website work towards the business objectives.Let me take it down a little bit if you still don’t really get what Web Analytics are.Web analytics are what businesses use to track their visitors. They use Web Analytics to fully optimize their websites for sales and to learn more about their visitors. In a sense, I guess you could say that they “spy” on you every time you visit their website. Kind of creepy eh? Well, this is how they find out what you, the consumer, will buy and what you will not buy.Lets take a look at a few ways Businesses use Web Analytics to optimize the sales value of a website:
- Regional information- Many company’s only sell to a specific type of buyer. Many visitors who visit websites come from a vast variety of countries. With web analytics, companies can find out where the majority of their visitors reside from. They can then use this information to drive traffic from the specific country that they choose.
- Top content – Top content is usually the pages that are viewed the most by visitors. Top content is your most viewed pages, top landing pages, and top exiting pages. A neat feature that is also added in most web analytic programs is the report on what your users click. Here they give the number of clicks and exactly where on your page your visitors click. This is great if your doing affiliate marketing on your website. Companies will take this information and determine what phrases work and others that don’t
- Visitors – Businesses love to see how many visitors visit their site regularly. They will also find out the number of page views and average time that visitors spend on their site. This information is important because if a company has visitor information they will have a better chance at selling private advertising on their website. It’s always better to have the information and facts to back your words up. It’s also noteworthy that most web analytics software will allow you to view your visitors IP, browsers, internet connection and many other things. With web analytic software you will get to know you visitors very well, and you must know your visitors very well if you want to make a living online.
- Traffic Sources – It’s always good to know where your traffic is coming from. If you can find out where your traffic is coming from, you can then use that information to focus on the areas you need to improve on and the areas that you are already doing well. For example, SEO is very important in driving traffic to your website. Here, you can find out if your website is generating enough SEO traffic or if it needs some improvement.
How can Bloggers use Web Analytics to their advantage?
Here are a few ways that Bloggers can use Web Analytics to optimize the traffic they get.
- Find out how your readers are getting to your website.
- Find out what content is getting the most views.
- Optimize your SEO
- Get statistics for your blog
- Learn more about where your readers come from
- You can also determine if people find your blog interesting or not by watching the Bounce Rate.
- Use this information to sell private advertising on your blog